Thursday, January 26, 2012

A New Family Favorite: An Enchilada Breakfast Bar

Hayden enjoying her "Spanish" breakfast before heading off to her Spanish class.

Emily's most challenging meal since her surgery.  Like Momma and Sammy, she puts tomatoes on practically everything!

     My family loves having enchiladas for dinner and breakfast burritos are nothing unusual either.  This morning, Momma had an epiphany and decided to merge the two.  The kids really liked these and I had to stop the boys from eating too much!  This is so easy and the mixture can be made ahead of time and zapped in the morning in the microwave.

Ingredients:
breakfast sausage
scrambled eggs
tortillas
enchilada sauce
finely shredded Mexican cheese
optional:
sour cream
hot sauce
tomatoes
any other toppings of your choice

First, I browned the breakfast sausage.


Next, I added the inspiration I found in the pantry this morning; an extra can of enchilada sauce.

When the sausage is brown, stir in a little enchilada sauce.  You can add the shredded cheese now, or serve it separately like I did.  I knew that Joey wouldn't eat the meat, but would want the eggs and cheese, so I kept them separate.

I scrambled about six eggs for five kids.  I also added a generous splash of milk.

I cooked them on the griddle.  I took the tortillas out of the bag and heated them for a minute in the microwave between two damp paper towels.

Our main "bar" ingredients:  breakfast sausage mixture, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, tortillas and sour cream.

Hot sauce for Harrison, and milk and orange juice to drink - and I can't forget to get some chopped tomatoes out there for Emily and Sammy!

Sammy


Momma had a hearty breakfast too.  A slice of turkey bacon, a piece of dry toast, one fried egg, a small cup of fruit, and an ice water. 

If you have a compost pile in your yard, you can keep a freezer bag in your freezer for egg shells so you don't have to run outside every time you crack an egg!  If you grow tomatoes, sprinkle crushed up egg shells around your tomato plants to give them calcium and prevent bottom rot.  That was a tip from my friend, Beth Dykema.  When three of my plants had this problem last year, she gave me this tip and it saved my plants in less than two weeks! 

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.  Galatians 6:2, 10

~Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment