Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Potato Soup

 Making soup while Hayden makes bread. The boys were tied up in the garage ;) (just kidding). Actually, they were helping my dad set up the fish tank.

A few days ago we had some friends over and I made baked potato soup. It's one of our family's favorites and it's not too hard to make. I made three batches so don't be confused if it looks like there's more in the picture then I say to put in. If you want to make more then one batch, be sure to make them all separately. Because this soup has a lot of milk, if you try to make all of the batches at once it will scorch the milk before you can get it to boil.   

You will need:
4 large potatoes
2/3 cups butter
2-3 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup flour
6 cups whole milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (we use sharp)
3/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream
10 bacon strips cooked and chopped
3/4 cup chopped green onions

Start by baking your potatoes until a fork goes through easily.

I baked mine the day before because we needed the oven the next day for bread.
 After your potatoes have cooled, peel off the skins.


Then cut up your potatoes into bite-sized cubes and put them to the side.


Melt 2/3 cups of butter in a pot. That's about a stick and 3 and a third tablespoons.



While your butter is melting, mince 2-3 cloves of garlic. My mom accidentally bought elephant garlic so I had to estimate how much to use. So no, I didn't use as much as in the picture below. ;)  



Add the garlic to the butter,


and mix in salt and pepper.


Whisk in 2/3 of a cup flour to make a rue. 


It should look like this.


Pour in 6 cups milk, stirring constantly. 


Once the soup starts to boil, turn down heat and mix in 1 cup of shredded cheese.



Then remove from heat, and add in potatoes. 


Stir in 1 cup sour cream. 



Cook your bacon.

I don't like this picture but my mommy likes it..... and I posted it because I was working on "submission". ;) 

Add in bacon.  I relocated my soup into a crock pot to keep it warm for dinner.


That's pretty much it. As for the green onions, you can either mix them in directly or have a bowl of them on the side for people to add themselves. We usually have them on the side since not everyone in our family likes onions.  

~ Emily  

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  - Ephesians 6:1 



No comments:

Post a Comment