Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weight Watchers Soup


     Well, it's been a busy week!  My poor Emily had four impacted wisdom teeth extracted last Thursday.  My son, Samuel also had oral surgery.  He was mildly "tongue-tied" and had the underside of his tongue "clipped".  His surgery was considered minor and he has recuperated nicely.  Emily is still very swollen and can't chew yet.  Needless to say, preparing food for her has been interesting.  I'll post more about that later.
      Weight Watchers soup is also referred to as "Zero Point" soup.  Because the Weight Watcher's plan works on a point system, this soup is an "all you can" eat item for this plan.  Scott and I aren't faithful to any particular, marketed plan, but this soup is a great way to kick off a new diet because it has a cleansing effect.  It is also great to have around when you get started because you can eat it whenever you feel hungry between your planned meals.  When beginning a diet, the worst part is feeling hungry and this soup holds you over without making you feel guilty.  After the first few days, your appetite isn't quite as ravenous, so this is great for that transition.
    This soup was first introduced to me by my friend, Bridgette Davis, who had lost over seventy pounds on the Weight Watcher's plan several years ago.  She said she lived on this soup and that it was a big part of her success.  This soup was not designed to dazzle your taste buds - its function is healthy weight loss.  That being said, it does taste good, and you can add some of your favorite spices to kick it up.  I have seen several versions of this soup Online.  Although there are no zucchini or mushrooms in this version, you can add those.  The only veggies that would interfere with its "zero point" category are those with higher sugar content like corn and peas.  There is little salt in this recipe because salt makes you retain water and interferes with the cleansing effect.

Ingredients:  Chopped:  
                                   1 medium onion
                                   1 stalk celery
                                   1/2 bell pepper
                                   1/2 head cabbage
                                   2-3 cloves minced garlic
                   1 14.5 oz. can sliced carrots or 1 cup fresh
                   1 14.5 oz. can low salt chicken broth or beef broth
                   1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
                   1 14.5 oz. can undrained diced salt-free tomatoes
                   1 14.5 oz. can salt-free green beans
                   3 cups water
                   1/2 tspn. pepper
                   1/4 tspn. salt
                   Spray Pam
                   frying pan
                   Large stock pot
                   Long spoon
                   Optional:  basil
                                  oregano

 First, I prepared my ingredients.  Here are my chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
                                  
I used fresh carrots.  I am keeping these separate because they will not be sauteed like the others.

                
                                            1/2 head of chopped cabbage
 I gathered my canned ingredients, wiped off the tops, and opened them.


I sauteed the chopped onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in a frying pan sprayed with Pam.
                                               Until it looked like this.

 I put all my sauteed veggies into a stock pot and added three cups of water.


I added my carrots.  If I had used canned carrots instead, I would have added them later with my green beans so they wouldn't get mushy.
                                                I added my chicken broth.
                                                      cabbage,
                                                               
                                                   diced tomatoes,
                                                     
                                                       tomato sauce,
                                               Italian seasoning,


                                                     and some pepper.

                              I like to add salt at table, as needed.  It will look as if there is not enough liquid at first.  Stir as you bring to a boil.  Once it begins boiling, turn it down and let it simmer for twenty-five minutes.
                                                  It will look like this.
                                         

                  Add the can of green beans (and carrots if you used canned).


                                   Scott and I had ours with salad and ice water with lemon.    Mama Bear gets the smaller glass.  Poppa Bear likes the big, plastic cups.

There is something ironic about pouring this leftover soup into an old ice cream container!

You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?  It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.  Matthew 5:13

~Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment