Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wisdom Teeth, Danish Rice Pudding (Ris A'L'Amande), and Whipped Cream Spread


     Exactly one week ago, our dear Emily had four impacted wisdom teeth removed and her brother, Samuel had a frenulectomy (tongue clipping).  The first day, they both enjoyed little cups of store-bought Italian ice.  Emmie could not even chew her food until day four due to quite a bit of swelling.  Praise the Lord she didn't have much pain, nausea, or complications!  Sammy felt fine by the second day. 
     What do you feed someone who can't chew?  Here is a list of Emily's choices:
Italian ice (great for that first, painful day)
soup (she put a hurtin' on my canned matzo ball soup, but left the chicken chunks)
chocolate pudding
rice pudding
Hayden's amazing fettucine alfredo (we ran it through the food processor until it looked like baby food!)
cottage cheese
egg salad (no celery - we don't put it in there anyway))
potato salad (the first thing she ate in which she had to gently involve some teeth)
      The rice pudding (Cozy Shack brand from BiLo) that we purchased from the store was pretty tasty (especially with some cinnamon), but for over three dollars a pint, it wasn't very economical.  I have come to realize that not everyone is a fan of rice pudding.  This came as a shock because I grew up with it as a much anticipated Christmas dessert.  My children have too. Emily loves this stuff.  Ris A'L'Amande (pronounced rees a la mond) is a Danish rice pudding where an almond is hidden inside.  At Christmastime, the individual who finds the almond in his pudding gets a prize.  As a young girl, I have wonderful memories of my Danish speaking aunts and uncles drinking their cups of coffee after dinner, while we children gobbled our pudding in search of the elusive almond (it was usually found by an uncle who would hide it and not tell anyone until we gorged ourselves on this stuff in vain.)  This pudding is more decadent than most and is often topped with a strawberry or raspberry sauce.  My youngest, Joey, simply likes his with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  My husband, who is not Danish, loves it as well and it was he who suggested I make a double batch for Emily.  This recipe takes two days to make because the gelatin has to set, but it is really, really yummy and an expected tradition in our family.  One of the first questions my Danish father asks me when he arrives Christmas Eve is , "Did you make the Ris A'L'Amande?" 
    Clotted cream is a fancy shmancy spread for scones that we had for the first time at my sister-in-law's annual tea party.  It is made by slowly heating cream until a thick creamy layer forms over the top.  We haven't tried making this yet, but we found a substitute until we do!  Our whipped cream spread is a great way to use up your extra whipped cream after making the rice pudding!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice
4 cups whole milk
4 cups whipped whipping cream
1 packet Knox gelatin (dissolved in a little hot water)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
optional:
1 package frozen strawberries
1 package frozen raspberries
a prize any age or gender can enjoy (we usually use a gift bucket of flavored popcorn or candy)

                                         Bring 4 cups of milk to a boil, stirring constantly.

Once the milk comes to a boil, stir in 1/2 cup rice. 
Cover and simmer for an hour until the rice is swollen.  Stir occasionally and fish out any little "skinlike" pieces of milk.  It may still be a little soupy after an hour, but that is okay. Dissolve a package of Knox gelatin in a hot cup of water.

                                            Make sure there are no lumps!

Turn off heat.  Pour into rice mixture.
Add 1/2 cup sugar.  This may seem like a lot, but you are going to add quite a bit of unsweetened whipped cream.

Add two teaspoons of vanilla.

Stir.  Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.


The next day, it should look like this.

I mash it with a potato masher to make it easier to fold in the whipped cream.
                      You could eat this stuff right now and it would still be delicious.

Here is my whipping cream.  I always put my mixing bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer before I make the whipped cream to get everything extra cold.
Whip your container of whipping cream until it is thick and fluffy. I like to buy a quart of whipping cream so I have some left over.

Fold in about four cups.  You can use less or more.
I pour the rice pudding into a trifle bowl to make it prettier.

I add the almond.  I am using a slivered almond here, but you can make it more difficult and add a blanched one!

I decided to use strawberries for my sauce.

I heated up the frozen strawberries in the microwave and pureed them in my mini food processor..

When you're done processing, you can add a little sugar to sweeten the sauce,heat it over the stove, and cool; or just leave it tart and serve immediately over the pudding.

All ready for Emily!

I never decorate the top - especially with almonds when one is hidden for a prize; but I was making it for a different reason this time and decided to get a little creative.

Now, for that leftover whipped cream.....

Because this has not been sweetened, you'll need about a half a cup of powdered sugar to add to your whipped mixture.  After you pour in your sugar, whip it until it transforms into this wonderful place between whipped cream and butter.  If you'd rather make butter, add a little salt (instead of powdered sugar) and whip it until you have some!  You can also flavor your butter with other things like honey for sweet, or garlic for savory.

Save in a container to spread on scones or muffins.  Yum!

For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord.....  Jeremiah 30:17a

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved:  for Thou art my praise.  Jeremiah 17:14

~Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment