Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fill In the Blank Oatmeal Bars



    As Hayden had mentioned, we've been watching more television than usual due to illness.  One show I have enjoyed watching on Food Network is The Pioneer Woman.  Ree Drummond is a churchgoing, homeschooling mom who lives on a ranch and has to feed a hardworking man and four kids.  Her recipes are hearty, healthy, and reasonable.  I love gourmet dishes, but I'd have to travel forty miles to find truffle oil or saffron.  I don't have to worry about that with "Ree".  You can see the original recipe here.  If you click on the picture at that site, you can watch Ree demonstrate.
   The real name for this recipe is Strawberry Oatmeal Bars because Mrs. Drummond uses strawberry jam.  The beauty of this recipe is that you can substitute any jam you want.  These can be Blueberry Oatmeal Bars, Raspberry Oatmeal Bars, or in this case, Apricot Oatmeal Bars. These bars taste far superior to any of those "breakfast bars" you'll find on the grocery aisle and you'll know exactly what is in them!
   At some point in the day, my family craves something a little sweet and these bars hit the spot. They are great with a hot cup of tea or coffee - or in the case of my kids - a glass of milk. Out of our family of seven, my husband Scott and my son Harrison were the healthiest when the illness was at its worst.  Harrison had to take care of the rest of us while Scott was at work.  The girls and I were lying in my bed watching The Pioneer Woman when this recipe came on.  "Hey Harrison, can you, uh?...."  We printed up the recipe and he has been making it ever since.  I happen to have a TON of homemade blueberry jam that I had canned about three years ago.  It still tastes great, but I really need to rotate it out of my storage.  This recipe makes another way for us to gobble up the jam.  I also had strawberry freezer jam, so we have also tried the original version.  So far, they have both been delicious.  I can't wait to try this new flavor Harrison is making here.  This recipe is simple, buttery, and makes a really yummy snack!  Okay Harrison, you're on!

Apricot Oatmeal Bars
Ingredients:
1 3/4 sticks salted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
One 10 to 12-ounce jar jam of your choice

                                                      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.


Gathering my dry ingredients.


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


1 1/2 cups oats


1 cup packed brown sugar


1 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 teaspoon salt


Cut butter into small pieces and mix in with hands or melt butter and stir into mixture.  It works both ways.


Press half the mixture in the pan.


Spread jam on pressed mixture.

                                 

Sprinkle second half of mixture on jam.


                                                               Bake for 30-40 minutes.


Hayden stole a piece before I could take the picture!

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
 this is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:12

Harrison





No comments:

Post a Comment