Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rustic Roasted Vegetables

Rustic Roasted Vegetables

  Tonight I made a simple, healthy and delicious side dish as our main course.  Christmas Day, my sister-in-law Donna Kennedy and her daughters brought a variation of these and it inspired me to experiment on my own.

       

You will need:
A variety of yummy veggies

I used: 
4 russet potatoes
6 carrots
1 rutabaga
1 pound fresh green beans
2 onions
*I believe the Kennedys used sweet potatoes instead of russet and I would love to try this with asparagus.

olive oil
salt and pepper 
ground sage
honey

                                                            First, gather your veggies.


Next, find a cute kid to peel them for you.  This would be Emily.  Isn't she cute?


Peeling the taters (you do not have to do this, but Joey would peel each one off as he ate if I didn't)


See the rutabaga in the bowl.  It looks a little scary.  I had never had one before until the day the Kennedys roasted them in this dish.


            Peel the rutabaga and carrots, and clean, prep, and chop all veggies into large, bite-sized pieces.


Toss veggies in a couple tablespoons (or more) of olive oil and dump onto foil lined or sprayed pan.
I just have the potatoes and rutabagas on this one because all the veggies wouldn't fit on one pan.  Shake some salt and pepper over the top, some sage; and then drizzle honey lightly over the entire thing.


Here are the carrots, green beans, and onions.  They have also been tossed in oil, seasoned, and drizzled upon.

Roast at 400 degrees for an hour, stirring and tasting after thirty minutes.  I discovered I needed to add more salt at this point.  After the full hour, combine the veggies from both pans, if roasted separately, and enjoy as a side or main course.

                          Harrison is fixing his plate here with a side salad and homemade bread.


                            Hayden really liked this dish and discovered she has a fondness for rutabagas.


                                                        Emily, buttering her bread.
   

Joey nibbled a few selected veggies (namely potatoes and carrots) and then proceeded to eat leftover egg salad from lunch. sigh.

I actually managed to make a meal without meat and roast veggies without adding cheese.
I tend to ruin healthy recipes with my add-ons.  It's a gift.
I can't wait to try a combo with peppers, mushrooms, taters, (peels on, thank you very much), and onions.  I will also be trying some other herbs too.  It's a whole new world -  this healthy eating thing. :)

Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink.
Daniel 1:12

~Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment