Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Vanilla


Something Special - Homemade Vanilla



I am so grateful to have so many wonderful sisters.  True, I only have one genetic one, but the Lord has also blessed me with sisters in the Lord and sisters-in-law.  Two of my sisters-in-law, Patty Lamar and Donna Kennedy blessed the women in their lives with these lovely Christmas presents - homemade vanilla.  Aren't these beautiful?!  You can tell we've already been using them!
    Inspired by something similar Patty and Donna saw in a flea market, they immediately began their search for containers, beans, etc.  They made a total of fifteen bottles.  They purchased the bottles from Carolina Pottery, the ribbons from Michael's, and the charms from Hobby Lobby.  I want to mention that each lady received a personalized charm and decorative stone attached to her bottle that reminded Patty and Donna of the lady to receive the gift.
    In addition to the supplies listed above, you will obviously need vanilla beans and alcohol.  Patty and Donna used a cheap vodka.  You actually WANT the alcohol to be cheap so its flavor doesn't overpower the vanilla.  I've attached the link to Beanilla here where you can read the simple recipe Patty used at the bottom of their page.  She also ordered the beans from there as well.  Be aware, the beans will have to soak for several weeks so plan ahead.  I have to say, the vanilla smells and tastes heavenly!  Thank you, Lord for my beautiful sisters!

"Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
Where you will die, I will die,
And there I will be buried.
The Lord do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me."

The Book of Ruth 1:16-17

~Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment