Monday, March 11, 2013

An Apologetic Addendum: An Ode to Ketchup

     

       I received a phone call from my dad this morning.  He read my post about his hash recipe.  I was scolded.  Although I had mentioned ketchup, its value was not stressed enough.  He also said he wanted a picture.  Seriously.
       I come from a long line of ketchup mongers.  Obviously, there is my dad.  Then, there is my brother.  And then, uh, there is me.  And my son, Samuel. Yes, I admit it.  Below are some items that simply must, must have ketchup.  My level of enjoyment goes down tremendously if these items are without it:

My dad's potato hash
French fries
burgers
meat loaf
a steak that isn't well seasoned
fried shrimp
fried chicken (yes, I am absolutely serious!)
a chicken biscuit
a Philly cheesesteak or roast beef sandwich
mixed with the sauce that comes with a "blooming onion", "onion petals", etc.
homemade chili gets about 1/4 cup while cooking
and the list goes on......

There are some items that I used to accompany with ketchup:
Scrambled eggs now get hot sauce
Grilled cheese sandwiches now get dipped into tomato soup

You DO NOT, let me repeat, DO NOT EVER put ketchup on

HOT DOGS!

That is like putting it on a bologna sandwich.
Ew.
That was for my husband and sons.

My son Samuel likes to mix ketchup and mustard together to make a dip for potato chips.  He was grossing everyone out at lunch one day, but I could not say anything because I used to do the same thing!!!!!!

Sadly, today's ketchup seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter and I am getting pickier with my brands.The brand above is the only one I am buying right now, but I am getting suspicious with them as well.  It seems that more and more companies have been tampering with their recipes to save money and I CAN TASTE IT!!!!!!  Sorry.  I am a little passionate about my ketchup. How about you?
I have a recipe for homemade ketchup.
I may try making my own and see if I like it better.
I'll keep you posted.

I love you, Dad!

Can flavorless food be eaten without salt?  Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?  My soul refuses to touch them; they are loathsome food to me.
Job 6:6-7

~Jennifer




6 comments:

  1. I put ketchup on my hot dogs. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samuel is my new favorite child. :P I think he might need a candy bar right now. Where is that sweet boy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gals are so funny! I like ketchup too, just watch out for the brands containing high fructose corn syrup (including Heinz unless otherwise advertised). I have also been researching genetically modified food and Heinz was again on the list. Maybe if we eat it on spinach it would counteract all the bad stuff:)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, aren't you a member of that nomadic family that just posted mountains - of ICE CREAM? Big smile. Sigh. Yes, I know you're right. And I also know that you probably have ice cream as often as you go to California so I can't give you too much of a hard time. I have also been eating more spinach, so you should be proud of me. :) I guess I really do need to try that homemade ketchup recipe..........

      Delete
  4. Jennifer, Don't forget cold turkey or chicken!
    Also, I wonder if there is a recipe for homemade ketchup.

    ReplyDelete