Sunday, June 14, 2015

Miracle Whip Chicken


Miracle Whip chicken with a side of pasta salad

     Have you ever had a recipe that really turned out well, was simple to make, but you kept forgetting about it? Miracle Whip chicken is a recipe that my husband and I really like, but had forgotten about it for so long that our children don't even remember ever having it. I'm sure that part of the reason is because I never have Miracle Whip in the house to remind me.
     When it comes to mayonnaise products, there seems to be two main camps: the traditional mayo folks and the Miracle Whip folks. I have to tell you up front, we are definitely NOT Miracle Whip people. One of my first experiences with the stuff was at a friend's house in high school. I was offered a sandwich and asked if I wanted mayonnaise on it. I gratefully bit into a sandwich only to discover that I had been unintentionally duped. I managed to politely finish my sandwich with a "What is the name of this sandwich spread?" I felt betrayed. I managed to avoid the stuff for years.
    Several years after Scott and I were married, someone gave us a small jar of the spread with some other things (I can't remember why), and I was determined not to waste it. I found this recipe on the side of the jar and decided to give it a try. No one was more surprised than we were when we really liked this chicken! Miracle Whip is tangy (which I do not like on my sandwich) but it works well with the combination of Parmesan cheese and oregano. I will actually purchase Miracle Whip ON PURPOSE to make this yummy chicken dish. The pasta salad, on the other hand, will always get REAL mayonnaise!  I Googled the recipe and found a few varieties. The one below is my favorite version.

Ingredients:
Chicken (we used about twenty thighs)
1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (not the powdery stuff you put on your spaghetti - the real, shredded kind)
About 1/4 cup dried oregano
*Notice how you use the same amount of Miracle Whip as cheese, so this is a very easy recipe to decrease or increase in proportion. You want to be able to see the oregano flakes in your "glop" but you don't want it to take over. I held off on the salt because of all the salty Parmesan, but I always have it available on the table if needed.

   We were bringing this to my in-laws house and I kept forgetting to take pictures, but it is really simple.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine all the ingredients.
Spread a good dollop onto each piece of chicken and spread it around with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 45 minutes or even an hour for larger pieces.

The above recipe made enough to top two casserole dishes full of chicken thighs.

This recipe does seem to produce a lot of liquid with the combination of the water from the chicken and the oil from the Miracle Whip, so make sure your baking dish isn't too shallow. I actually used the olive oil version of Miracle Whip in this particular recipe to reduce calories, but Scott and I agree the flavor is more intense with the regular kind. If you are concerned about calories, however, the olive oil version is still very good! Everyone liked it!

This is actually our cooled, leftover chicken consolidated into a drained baking dish. I forgot to take a picture right out of the oven.  Too busy visiting family!

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he had denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8

~Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. We make this with home made mayo and co-jack cheese. Yum.

    ReplyDelete